Genetic Disorder Brochure DUE DATE_____________
We have discussed many types of genetic disorders this unit. We have examined abnormalities that involve entire chromosomes and abnormalities that involve single genes. In this project you will research one genetic disorder and create a tri-fold brochure that organizes and summarizes information concerning the disorder. Brochures can be created using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher or created using construction paper. These brochures will be shared with your classmates on the due date for this assignment.
Your brochure must include the following:
· Cover with graphic and name of disorder
· General description of the disorder
· Possible Causes/Inheritance patterns of the disorder (Is the disorder a chromosomal disorder or a gene disorder? If it is a gene disorder is it autosomal or sex-linked? Is it dominant or recessive?
· Symptoms related to disorder
· Incidence rates (How often is the disorder found in general population? Does this disorder appear more in males or females? Is it common among certain ethnicities?
· Current treatments for disorder
· Listing of websites or groups created to assist individuals with disorder or friends/family of individual with disorder
· Listing of resources used for project – must use at least 3 different sources
· Extra Credit – Provide an illustration of an example karyotype for a chromosomal disorder or an example pedigree for a gene disorder.
Brochures will be graded on the above criteria and overall neatness/creativity. We will spend some time in class researching and creating our brochures. However, a fair amount of outside work will be expected to complete this assignment.
PLAGIARISM WILL RESULT IN A ZERO ON THE PROJECT AND A REFERRAL TO YOUR PRINCIPAL. THE DISCIPLINE REFERRAL WILL GO INTO YOUR PERMANENT FILE! MAKE GOOD DECISIONS!
Brochures must be tri-fold, typed, and include at least 3 graphics (including cover graphic)
The following is a list of genetic disorders to choose from. No two individuals should research the same genetic disorder.
Sickle Cell Anemia
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Fragile X Syndrome
Polycystic Kidney Disease
Other ___________________(Must be approved by teacher)